Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I finally went!

I finally made it to my Doctor appointment today. I almost didn't go again because I hardly had enough energy to leave the house. I'm beginning to see why Fibromyalgia in itself is sometimes disabling. I feel like I can't live normally sometimes. I also learned why people with FMS can easily become discouraged today as well. I go in to explain my NEW symptoms. I mentioned them in my last blog - hand tremors, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, difficulty concentrating and generally thinking more slowly in general, etc. Well, I was right about what would happen. Now I'm frustrated I even bothered to go. They just looked at the fact that I have a lot of stuff going on right now that is emotional and stressful plus the fact that I have Fibromyalgia and said it's basically nothing. I'd even venture to say they wanted to say "it's all in your head." But to humor me they did some blood work to check for the basics like electrolytes, anemia, B12 deficiency, and even my thyroid again. I blatantly said I thought perhaps they should refer me to a neurologist. After the doctor discusses this with his boss he comes back in asking me if I wanted to hurt myself or my kids! What!? Did they seriously just pull the post-partum depression card after we already discussed all of this!? Yes, I have had PPD. Yes, I even had a touch of it this time around, but even at my worst I have NEVER had those thoughts! Nor did I even mention such a thing, and it was totally irrelevant to the reason I was there!

So the conclusion? Basically it's this - I already have a medical condition (Fibromyalgia) that can't truly be defined but can be directly affected by stress and emotions, I just had a baby, my husband is having medical issues, we just lost a loved one, etc. - therefore my new symptoms must be a direct result of stress and emotions. Really?? I'm not saying it's impossible because stress can do a lot of things, but how many times are they going to pull that card? To make things even worse they said I should definitely be following a Doctor regularly regarding these symptoms as well as my FMS - a psychiatrist. I was speechless. Since when does a psychiatrist handle PHYSICAL symptoms? Why don't they just come out and say that it's "all in my head." I'm so frustrated. My husband is so frustrated as well. I mean he sees what I go through, and he knows what my bad days are like. Why do I feel like he's the only one that can understand?

And to top it off, the doctor says "it's not that I don't believe you..." My response? "Yeah, I'm getting used to that."

No comments: